Spring is a great time to get started before the weather heats up. If you are new to walking start with an easy walk in your neighborhood or at the local park. Fifteen to twenty minutes several days a week is a great starting point. Once you have walked a few weeks you can increase your walking workout by going longer or faster.
If you already walk for fitness you might challenge yourself to walk farther this month, work on improving your walking speed, or sign up for a fun walking event.
Don't be fooled into thinking walking is always an easy workout. Walking can be as strenuous or as easy as you like. You can make walking more intense by walking faster, improving your technique, walking hills, or going for a challenging hike. Did you know the fastest walkers in the world can walk a mile in about six minutes!
In addition to exercise walking, everyone can benefit from adding steps to their day. You can even benefit simply by standing when possible rather than sitting. Consider these very easy ways to add steps:
- park farther away from work or the store
- take the stairs instead of the elevator
- take Fido and/or the family out for a quick walk around the block
- walk over to visit a neighbor
- take a walking break after lunch
- walk while talking on the phone or during a conference call
- walk while waiting for your child at ball practice or dance class
You can challenge yourself by training to walk in a local event, learning to racewalk, or adding additional workouts to your walking routine. If I can assist you with your fitness plan contact me any time. www.coach-patty.com